View Single Post
Old 08-06-2008, 07:54 AM   #2
Handymansd
Ancient Member

This is a pretty common problem with electronics and salt water.

There are those that are going to disagree with my methods, but they work very well for me.

Corrosion is problematic in that it will continue as long as there is oxidation and/ or moisture to act as an electrolyte. You have to first get rid of the oxidation (if it has not worked its way past the contact points.) I do this by sparingly using a small amount of Phosphoric acid, for no more than 30 seconds or so, then immediately and thoroughly rinsing with running water. Blow out with compressed air and let dry completely. Three of the four things necessary for corrosion to happen are inherent to all metals, (anode, cathode, and a conductive path) we cannot remove these, but, if we can keep the fourth (an electrolyte) from gaining access to the area we have defeated corrosion. Therefore the last step is to use dilectic grease and silicone paste judiciously to seal the connection from any further contact with any electrolytes. Remember that even moist air is plenty of electrolyte for the corosion process to get started. Dilectic grease is your electronics best friend OTW.

I have used this method many times with great success. Just be careful to use the acid sparingly so that you do not "eat" the terminals! It is an even better electrolyte than salt water!

Then work on not rolling the FF in the surf!
Handymansd is offline   Reply With Quote