View Single Post
Old 07-12-2013, 08:33 AM   #19
steveooo

My thoughts on the transducer, although this topic has been covered pretty extensively.

The best possible location for a transducer is in the water. That will give you the best readings.

If you can't do that, you will want it to shoot through the least amount of material as possible.

Transducers will not shoot through air. Any material that has bubbles in it, or has the chance of a bubble getting under it will degrade the signal to some extent. How much it degrades the signal is up for debate. IMO we make a bigger deal of it than it really is. Prior to my current install, I used Marine Goop on several kayaks. Every Gooped transducer I would pull up to transfer to another kayak, had little tiny bubbles. I also got great readings from those transducers, dispite all the bubbles. I was able to see small jig heads and track them to the bottom in 100 feet. I wasn't exactly using the best fishfinders on the market either.

If directly in the water isn't an option, I think you will have good results with whatever method you use (wet mount, goop, putty) unless you have a very large air bubble under the 'ducer.

I get good results in my current install, but if someone doesn't want to cut a big hole, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the Goop install done properly, because I've seen how well it works.
steveooo is offline   Reply With Quote