View Single Post
Old 05-23-2011, 10:09 PM   #14
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

My experience with the Revo is that launching is usually fairly easy regardless of whether you paddle or peddle. I usually peddle. Having said this, when the surf is really big, or worse, very close together, there have been occasions where I simply have not been able to make it out.

Getting pounded in the chest by a dozen or more head-high waves, each pushing you back closer to the beach, can wear out even the most fit amongst us. I doubt the Hobies perform any better or worse than other kayaks in these conditions.

Landing is another story. Revos and Outbacks just do not surf very well. I have seen some guys on paddle kayaks surfing for fun and doing a great job. I have not seen anyone doing this on a Hobie.

In small surf, just about every technique works. If the surf is big or the interval is short, I have had the best success just waiting outside the surf line for a lull and then peddling as hard as possible, trying to stay between the waves. Under these conditions, I usually jump out of the kayak and grab the stern handle as soon I am in shallow water. This usually results in a very wet landing but I have not yet had a yard sale.

Recently, when faced with less than optimal landing conditions I have resorted to backing in. The best way to imagine this technique is to think of one of those big surf launches where you were never able to make it outside. You point the bow into the waves, paddle or peddle forward whenever a wave is approaching you and then paddle backwards between the waves. When you get to shallow water, jump out and grab the bow.

This technique works great but be prepared to get some ribbing from the guys on the beach when you try it.

Bob
dsafety is offline   Reply With Quote