View Single Post
Old 09-04-2015, 08:04 AM   #1
svendawg

Personal best ???

Went to La Jolla yesterday to see if I could get a YT to smoke this weekend. Launched before daylight to ankle deep surf and was able to make bait relatively easy.
Headed out to the fishing grounds and stated fly lining a mac.
At about 0900 my bait got nervous so I started looking around to see if there was a seal in the area. That’s when I saw the FIN. (RED ALERT) I quickly pulled in my mac and it was followed by Mr. Hammerhead. How cool was that. I pulled the mac out of the water and into the bait tank and scrambled to get my camera out. Turned the camera on but the battery was dead. It was pretty cool; the HH (8’ to 10”) circled my Yak a bunch of times and was within feet a few occasions. No bumps. After a couple of minutes the HH circled me at a distance.. I was bummed that I didn’t get any video to show the wife. What was curious was that while the HH was circling me there was a seal in the area also.
So after that encounter I continued fishing and finally got hooked up. I pulled in the fish and saw that it was a huge barracuda. This was my personal best for sure, it was huge. I thought cool I can smoke this this weekend if all else fails. (I had some smoked barracuda the last time I was down visiting Rossman. It was smoked by Sheri’s husband Juan and it was GOOOOD.
I grab my gaff and have the barracuda at the side of the yak and all of a sudden a huge seal comes from under my yak, grabs the barracuda and Fish Gone.
My total for the day was two good size Bonita (released)(maybe I should of smoked one of them)
Called it a day at 1430 and landed to lake like conditions at the launch. Great weather all day, overcast and light winds
svendawg is offline   Reply With Quote