View Single Post
Old 03-07-2011, 02:16 PM   #9
JoeBeck

Siebler,

Road out there was fun, a lot easier than I expected, pretty smooth. How you describe launching the kayaks prior to the ramp is what I had expected, they definitely have created a nice campspot with easy water access.

No striper, read they like shad so I tried cotee cracker shad, as well as some different shad crankbaits and small spoons, nothing. Also read they like cut bait but besides chicken liver and warms for catfish we were using artificial baits. Only the 2nd time I've fished the Colorado river waters so still learning. Took awhile to get the largemouth bass to start hitting too, turned out chartreuse colored baits were working the best.

We were catching plenty of cats in the lake, all small though. We mostly stayed in the lakes and inlets enjoying not having to paddle up stream as well as finding new little hideaways to fish such as the rock wall. Took awhile to start seeing the small paths cut through the tulies, if I didn't have a river map I don't think I would have found them.

Good trip, like I said definitely a fishery I am going to continue to explore. I want to get out there when the top water action goes off. It would also be a fun trip to put the Kayaks in upriver around Blythe or a little higher and have a car in Yuma. Float down river, fish all day, camping on the way, and drinking some beer .

FishinKid: Next time I'll try the flukes, I've had success on flukes fishing the SD Bay. Thanks for the advise, I've enjoyed reading your bass fishing post.
JoeBeck is offline   Reply With Quote