View Single Post
Old 07-22-2011, 08:13 AM   #13
kurtfish

Cool Grow-out pen Video Wade

Thanks Guys, Finally I get some interesting replies. My last Family Fourth Post with lots of pics of someone much cuter than I did not seem to generate much interest or comments. As you may have noticed in his post I congratulated Bellcon on his most impressive catch and by creating my story about the tails hanging out thru three counties I intended a sign of respect for his long journeys and a dig on the LB and Santa Monica folks that fought so hard against us in the MLPA process. I use the word slaughter as a celebratory gesture to our communities' recent success on the water as the kayakers continue to get more than their share of the local WSB and Yellowtail haul. The morning my son caught his first WSB Darren nailed his 45 Yt and Scally got his 38 when I heard only one other WSB caught by the 8- 10 PBers on the water that morning.

Commercial fishermen are currently slaying the WSB with their gillnets between the channel islands. They save all their heads for Hubbs so if you asked Hubbs to save your stones don't expect a quick response as Mike and his crew are swamped with heads currently. The WSB and Yellowtail populations are doing great in California with our most regulated fisheries in the world. As a native San Diegan I can attest to the lack of WSB in the 70s, 80s and early 90s. I did not catch my first WSB till 1997 and then 20 last year makes me appreciate this great fishery, Hubbs great work, and the regulations that have worked so well together to protect these majestic species. I see The Pride nailed some WSB last night with a BD post it looks it may be a zombie zoo out there this weekend as well. I am finally get back on the water this pm after two weeks and I hope to see a good contingent of BWE folks catching more than our share of the local whites. 31 BFT on a one day boat will hopefully send some of the larger baoters down south for the weekend.

See ya out there, Kurtfish
kurtfish is offline   Reply With Quote