View Single Post
Old 08-19-2016, 01:21 PM   #7
Hunters Pa

I faced the same choice last summer after a black seabass kicked my butt and I had to paddle back with my arms spasming. I kept my Trident 15, mainly for surf launch/landings. I bought a used PA14. I decided on the PA14 for the following reasons:
  • Potential to take one of my kids with me
  • Added stability
  • Rod storage in rails
  • Nice wide hooping platform
  • More stable in case my wife wants to do a bay run, with me in a paddle yak (selling it as a cross-training platform for her triathlon training helped with approval on the purchase )
  • There was one available at a good price
Now, I am lucky enough to be able to have different kayaks for different applications. I have the PA for ramp or harbor launches, the Trident for surf launches and a Scrambler to throw on top of my commuter car when I anticipate being able to cut out of work early and hit Huntington Harbor for a few hours with the bare minimum tray of plastics and 2 rods.

That said, the PA is a beast. I was putting it on top of my SUV, using a couple carpeted 2x4s as runners to help get it there. It was still unwieldy for someone 5'11 and a scrawny 150#. So I bought a used jetski trailer and adapted it for the PA. Much, much easier loading it on there than trying to put it on top of the SUV after a day on the water. But, the PA on a trailer has a bigger footprint than the PA alone. So you will need somewhere to be able to park it.

No real advice, just insight into my decision process
Hunters Pa is offline   Reply With Quote