View Single Post
Old 01-22-2020, 07:30 AM   #19
chris138
donkey roper

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowprofile View Post
The first problem is “targeting trophy fish in LJ”.... you’ll go mad. Target trophy fish where trophy fish are. Yes, sometimes that’s La Jolla but often it’s not.
Thanks for commenting and reading along, but I have to disagree. Maybe we need a more clear definition of "trophy", but I truly believe YT WSB and Halibut are here in La Jolla 365 days a year. Not saying there's a 90 pound WSB there everyday haha.

The reason I say that is from personal experience, catching them when everyone says "its so dead no bait no current no fish etc". They might not be in the zones that people are traditionally targeting, but they are there. They might be in 15' of water up at blacks, or in 300' of water west of NWC, or in 1500' of water over the canyon. But there's target-able gamefish in La Jolla everyday you paddle out, even if nobody is catching them. This mentality is why I keep grinding all winter long. It's the reason I get out of bed at 4:00am when its 40 degrees and fish LJ all alone. If people knew the fish that are being caught there in the last 2 weeks (or 2 months for that matter), I probably wouldn't be so lonely hahaha.

I never let "there's no fish here" be an excuse why I didn't catch, even if it's true. Then you have taken no accountability for your lack of success, and wont be motivated to improve or try harder. Does that mean I have gone mad? Perhaps....

Last edited by chris138; 01-22-2020 at 07:46 AM.
chris138 is offline   Reply With Quote