View Single Post
Old 07-29-2020, 09:34 AM   #170
FISH11

Talking 2nd La Jolla surf launch on the Solo Skiff 7-28-2020

I took the Solo Skiff for it's second surf launch at La Jolla Shores on 7-28-2020. As happens a lot the Magicseaweed forecast was not that accurate. The forecast had surf as 1.3'-1.7' with 5 seconds intervals (not good, on the intervals) and the wind at 7-9 mph. The real conditions looked more like 2.5'-3.5' with 5 seconds intervals and the wind was more like 10 mph. First thing I thought, was well this is more of a real test of surf launch conditions and not like a lake. Got ready waded into knee deep water with the Solo, started the engine, short warm up and scan the sets to find a break in the sets. Waited out the larger sets and got one leg up ready to jump on, as the last wave hits it moved the skiff, just enough that my right leg was no longer under me and I fell over. Caught myself with my right arm in 2' water but felt stupid for falling over and getting my sweatshirt a little wet on the right side. After the next set I jump on wait for the next waves to hit so the water is deeper and engage the outboard in gear. Checking the oncoming set I hold just enough throttle to keep a little forward momentum and accelerate when I see the wave break in front and then power on through the sets coming up. The video is unedited and was a much more realistic test of a surf launch. A lot of the same things I have learned on the kayak launches applied to the Solo Skiff launch. The huge difference is having engine power to hold a spot or accelerated through the surf. Neither my Hobie Revo 13 or any of my other paddle kayaks had that advantage and required all the power you could produce to make it through the KILL ZONE. The landing was super easy again because of the power. I was not able to get video because all my gopros battery were dead. As I got to the surf zone I see a couple guys on Hobies checking the sets and waiting for the right time to try and land. I see that there's a break in the sets and as the last wave in the set passes I gun the engine and power on, as I get to what is about 2' I pull the emergency kill switch cord to kill the engine and the slide off the Solo in 2' of water, reach back and tilt the engine, go to the bow grab the handle and allow the small surf to swing the Solo around so the bow is facing the surf. I walk to the rear handle and as the small rollers hit the Solo, it allows me to slide the Solo up the sand and out of the water. The fishing was not good, made plenty of bait and trolled from 6:45 til 12:30 but no bites and did not see any good marks on the FF. The swell rollers and wind made it very rough at times, but after testing the Solo Mission Bay with all the messed up water from boats and personal watercraft and outside the the jetty, yesterday was actually easier out there. The rough water made it impossible to see any fish boils and bird activity was almost non-existent.