View Single Post
Old 05-23-2020, 09:01 PM   #11
chris138
donkey roper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorLongArms View Post

I'd imagine the key benefit to a reverse dropper is convenience. Tie a hook, tie a spider hitch, and you're done, *and* if you're using a big mono topshot, you've got plenty of line to spare to keep cutting and retying rather than having to tie more
In my opinion the biggest advantage is strength. Between me and the fish there are 2 knots... a spider hitch and a palomar which are both insanely strong. with a 3 way swivel its just more knots, not to mention the swivel can fail.

But you're right about being able to retie quickly. I can rig one up in 2 minutes. Especially when you hook a fish that finds structure and it nicks your line, you gotta swap it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorLongArms View Post

Even with the swivel (I tend to use the ones like this ) I have a big issue with twisting. Sometimes I'll pull my bait up and there are 12-20 plus twists in the line and it's pulled the fish in tight to the weight line.

Is this a problem at all with a reverse dropper?
Not really. Drop it fast, reel it up slow. It will will only be an issue when there is zero current. This is one of the situations where I *might* consider using a regular DL with a greenback.
chris138 is offline   Reply With Quote