View Single Post
Old 07-01-2008, 07:57 PM   #24
John M

Tyler
Smart and Final also sells canning supplies.
I usually just do albacore with a fresh jalepeno cut into 1/4" thick pieces, kosher salt and bottled water.
Have done some with habenros, may be too hot for some but very tasty.
The cooking does mellow the heat of the peppers.
Have tried garlic but was not happy with that and I like garlic.
I use the pint jars for the fresh and 1/2 pint for smoked. If you do some smoked do not cook too long in smoker as canning will intensify the flavor and dry out too much.
I usually make tuna fish sandwiches with it. For a real treat get some good sour dough bread, sharp chedder, some red onions and make tuna melts. MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!
I also like to mix a pint of jalapeno with a 1/2 pint of smoked. Gives a light smoke flavor to the hole mix.
I started out with a small cooker that only did 8 pints at a time. Have since bought a larger cooker that will handle 16 pints. Now do both at the same time to increase production for time spent. Seems to take about 4 hours from start to finish, so it is nice to have a greater number done for the same amount of time.
My canner recomends to cook for 100 min after it has reached 10lbs. If you fall below the 10lbs you have to start the time all over.
It really is a great way to save your catch for later in the year. Usually have enough to have some all year long.
There used to be a business in Ramona that sells canning supplies. They were very helpful and willing to answer phone questions. I don't know if they are still in business.

John
John M is offline   Reply With Quote