View Single Post
Old 02-07-2016, 02:33 PM   #39
taggermike

Well said Matt. Being a dick, screaming threats, close fast drive bys, or throwing irons at any one is always wrong and I would never condone it. No one has any more right to the ocean or the fish than any body else. Period! You don't need to run from or avoid guys like Trompus.

But do your part. Try not to be a problem in a crowd. Be mindful of your actions and location. Some yakkers, and boaters, are inexperienced and have no knowledge of etiquate. Screaming at them doesn't help. Maybe it would be good idea to post some of the unspoken rules.

It's a simple thing but i always try to treat every one, yak, skiff, yacht, and sport boat the way I'd like to be treated. So far this seams to have worked cause after 16 years kayak fishing I've had exactly 1 yelling match. Which was odd cause I didn't even have a line in the water. And if Some times this respect isnt shown to me by others it doesn't bug me much.

Get a bit of experience n confidence in your self. You don't need to get in to the crowd. Chances are you know more than at least 1/2 those guys any way. You don't need to be in the chumm line of a sports boat. Let them pull all the sea lions in and go your own way. Trompus is a very knowledgeable and skilled angler. He's gonna be on a good spot, but not the only spot. Give him the room you'd want or give a wave n keep on going.

Greg Trompus gets way out of line, no doubt about it. But that's not the only side of him. Over the years I've had 1 interaction with him. It was during a marginally crowded bite on the squid bed strait off the shore. Being on a drifting kayak among many anchored boats you can quickly drift in to places you shouldn't be. I was paddling and staying in a space equadistant from several boats. I hooked a big yt that ran strait towards the kelp line. Right under Greg's boat and around his anchor. We worked together handing the rod back and forth around his anchor rope. I went around his bow, he handed me my rod back, and I landed a 35 lb yt a few minutes later. He yelled a "right on" n I went back and sincerely thanked him. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote