View Single Post
Old 05-03-2015, 12:26 PM   #17
CardShark

Quote:
Originally Posted by CR Yaker View Post
You get what you pay for on those Ugly Stix. They can't take a beating at all. Easily broke the end off one rod in less than 4 months. The other the braid wore a grove into the the eye tip and thus would weaken the braid so that it broke, again 4 to 6 months.
I won't ever use them again. My Shimano's never have issues, but at three times the price. Love em
From my own experience and from the vast majority of people's reviews online, taking a beating seems to be what Ugly Stiks do best.

I have a 12 year old freshwater 6'8" M Ugly Stik and it still works fine. During the first years of ownership, I used that rod a lot and I was not gentle with it. I've hit it on things multiple times and now it's my loaner rod so it's always getting abused.

I also have 2 Shimano Crucials which I'm way more careful with. One has broken twice and the other once, so 3 replacements from Shimano in the last 4 years. My "Lifetime Warranty" that I thought I was paying for when I bought these rods have also magically disappeared. I love my Crucials; they are sensitive and light but durability is definitely not their strong point.

Obviously my statement above doesn't apply to all Shimano rods. Shimano makes a ton of different rods for lots of different purposes and lots of different price points. Even my own experience with my old freshwater Ugly Stik is not exactly applicable to a discussion on a modern Ugly Stik Tiger rod but the general consensus on Ugly Stiks seems to be they are really tough.

Last edited by CardShark; 05-03-2015 at 12:35 PM.
CardShark is offline   Reply With Quote