View Single Post
Old 04-21-2016, 01:45 PM   #5
pingpangdang

I just started targeting yellowtail this year transitioning from bass...

I tried the 20 lb top shot and I lost every fish on the bottom or kelp. Granted I was 3 way swivel bottom fishing but I got tired of losing fish.

I'm using 65lb power pro and 40lb flourocarbon now with no issues. I even have some 50lb fluorocarbon if I decide to bottom fish again.

If you do get hooked up and tangled in kelp don't do what I did and pull until the line snaps or just pulling forever.

If you are using braid for main line feed line out so the fish will swim out of the kelp where your top shot was hanging up. Braid will now be wrapped in the kelp and try pulling again and the braid should saw through.

Also try moving your yak away and the fish should pop out.

For yellows use short rod pumps too...pump then grind on the way down. I found out if I dropped the rod too quickly while not simultaneously reeling on the way down slack can be created in the line and your fish is now gone...If you are using j hooks you may have hooked the fish on the roof of his mouth. ..with slack the hook frees up and you can loose him.

Don't use any junior varsity bass hooks either unless you like straightened hooks. Recommend owner hooks big and strong enough...you can pull up threads on all this stuff.

I don't use a spinning real but I've heard great things about the penn fisher....

Depending your style of fishing you will need a real with the right gear ratio...ie your irons on the yo yo may not go fast enough to get bit if your reel is low gear...

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk
pingpangdang is offline   Reply With Quote