View Single Post
Old 03-13-2020, 08:14 PM   #15
deptrai

Very interesting topic.

The problem isn't launching, its landing. I lived in SoCal and surf launched/landed from La Jolla to Dana Point to Malibu. Now I live in Oregon and face much more severe conditions at Pacific City. I've still only huli'd once up here. I lived here for three years before I even tried to launch.

I have the Hobie Horizontal Rod Holder. I actually only utilize the front part for my rod tips and secure the butt ends with a bungee cord. I can secure three rods this way. I use 7' rods and can't realistically store them in the hull. If landing conditions are nasty and I think there's a chance I'll eat sh*t, I will remove my reels, put them in a dry bag secure them to the yak before landing. I always launch with the rods upright in my PVC holder...no leashes and no pool noodles. Its just so much easier to launch than land. If the conditions aren't good enough for me to have confidence launching, then I don't. I've driven 1.5 hours to the coast twice and turned around and went home.

The coming in backwards is very intriguing. I've been meaning to try this, but just haven't yet. I have accidentally surfed waves in a couple of times and looked like a pro, but they were purely luck.

Dave
deptrai is offline   Reply With Quote