View Single Post
Old 06-01-2011, 10:44 PM   #3
Aaron&Julie

Truly amazing KID. Congratulation on a fine catch.
We fish without fish finders and paddle 12 miles+ a day, for a minimum of 8 hours, on average, which we've been doing for 6 years now off of La Jolla. We've had our successes, all the more gratifiying knowing we fish old school. Julie is so hard-core, most people can't believe what she's done.
We've spotted yellows on the surface a few times.
But, other than one situation like yours, when Iceman nailed 2 nice yellows on an iron, we've been waiting for days like yours. He assured us, of little compensation at the time, that the yellows were very fickle, although boiling all around us. Having fished 40 years on the ocean I knew he was right. I couldn't believe I couldn't hook up. I was using a Blue/White 6x Junior (not really a surface jig). I think the Ice told me he was using the same only with the mackeral pattern.
Besides his obvious expertise at kayak fishing, our inexperience with kayak fishing at the time, it seemed to make the difference, as he boated two to our none. We'll go with that theory of fickle/pattern being the difference, the bastard.
I later took photos of his nice catch, and felt honored to do so.
Sure, we've seen the breezing schools go by, we keep our eyes out hoping for the day when we can throw the iron, which we both have ready to chuck. I have had some luck when solo, Julie not yet on the iron.
We'll get our day, and glad when any kayaker get's theirs, like you did. Again, congrats.
Old school days seem to be gone at La Jolla. But, until they're gone completely, we won't give up hope for the day that the yellows show and suck down our irons.
Not trying to steal your thread. Just reminiscing.
Thanks for a good story.