Thread: 1/31 buggin
View Single Post
Old 02-01-2006, 10:29 AM   #1
madscientist

1/31 buggin

Wasn't getting anything done at work so decided to join friends hoopin. One of those nights where Poseidon seemed to have it out for me. As I try to launch, my nets almost fall off the front. With the extra drag every wave stops me dead in my tracks so it takes me forever to punch through the surf. I think I've cleared it and go to adjust the nets, when I see a big breaker forming way out. Yikes! Paddle like mad and just get over the top of it as it begins to break.

Get out to the spots to find decent breakers at the low tide. Hmmm. Realize I forgot my bait cages and also that my mac/sardine bait bag is still rock hard frozen. Do my best to zip tie bait into the nets but half of them are empty of bait on the first pull. Finally get them more or less sorted out, then the next series of troubles begins.

One pull produces a nice looking bug, but also a big moray. Takes some doing but I get the moray out and get the net on board. As I reach for the critter he shoots to the side of the net and finds the only hole, plop and gone. Crap! One of the next pulls produces a short, but also a big ass sculpin that I almost didn't see. Damn! Then, as I go to check another net, I hear a seal breathing. Look down to finds a baby seal right next to me. Kind of startles me. I try to nudge it but its coming at me and is trying to climb INTO THE YAK. WTF! I beat it in the head with my paddle and it finally goes away. What next? How bout this. Another pull, some bugs, as I fling it on board I see a rather large shark veer off from the yak. Holy crap, time to get the feet out of the water.

Can this evening get any more exciting? Uh, yeah. Go to check my second most inside net. As I get to it I look back and think "What is that black stuff blocking the sky?". Wall of water...OH CRAP! Go up and over it, feeling the spray as it begins to break. Look down swell to see it break on my inside net. Great. Note to self, don't put nets down in the surf zone.

Managed to round up 4 legal bugs in between the heartstoppers. Heading in there was one more thrill. Thought I was well out side the surf, just cruising looking for the timing, when suddenly the yak is picked up and the nose starts to pearl. Damn, big outside breaker. Feet over and lean back and I manage to pull out of it. Chris is not so lucky and eats it, but everything was stowed/leashed. Tough conditions.
madscientist is offline   Reply With Quote