View Single Post
Old 01-11-2024, 05:24 PM   #1
PapaDave

San Diego Bay, 01-10

My fishing buddy and I decided to hit San Diego Bay, haven't been there in awhile so what the heck, right?

Weather was COLD, but survivable, little wind. There was an extreme tidal flow due to a King's Tide.

I got there before my friend did so I booked it to the bait receivers and loaded up with some nice sardines, small and healthy. A good start. My friend, and his wife, are more of a hook-up baits type so a kayak scope was plenty.

When my friend arrived we met up at a spot we fish for halibut. Bah, nada, just a coupe of tail biters, so we headed to another location to try our luck on some bass, my friend wanting to pre-fish for the spotty tourney coming up. Because of the strong current it was hard to stay on a spot, but we found a back eddy where we could essentially stay in one area pretty easily. And there appeared to be a lot of fish on the sonar.

As I mentioned, my friend is a plastics guy, so he started throwing those, no dice. I'm a bait guy, so I rigged up and dropped down on a location. Instant bite. Dropped another dine down and again, instant bite. My friend drifted off a bit so I called him over, he wasn't fairing so well. I gave him a few dines and told him what I was doing. He decided to use the plastics still. After about my 10th Spotty, good sized ones too, maybe even a couple of legal sized ones. All fish were released. My friend finally decided to drop a dine down and what do you know, instant bite. However, he went back to plastics, stubborn I guess.

Overall a real good day fishing, traffic coming back home sucked though, 2.5 hours, blah.