Thread: YARD SALE!!
View Single Post
Old 04-24-2016, 12:07 PM   #1
stevie951
Lurker

YARD SALE!!

Penn Jigmaster and some Cheap Berkley lake setup I use to Sabiki...

Arrived this morning to Gnarly surf at LJ (Or what I would consider Gnarly for LJ please don't laugh haha (; ) yet still hopeful in breaking that kayak cherry! Beautiful conditions though literally no wind to speak of.. I tried to launch around 0550, Sets @ 2-4 feet with what seemed only a 5 second Lull.. I Got broadsided in chest deep water and flipped Not too bad at all though, all intact, including 4 poles. I drug her back to shore and regained composure/untied tangles as it was my first time flipping. Then waited again for best opportunity to get out, I paddled out nice and adjacent to all the waves setting in the new set, then, nearly past the surf on the very last wave in the set, i Just get CRUSHED.. Easily 3 feet overhead, and it just broke perfectly on me, I tried my damnedest to paddle the 300 Lbs on my Stealth-14 past it but nope, just met by a big wall and a crest.

This time it was not so easy to drag her back to shore, she had taken on water and I could feel it (A couple gallons at least!) I Snapped my Gaff pole nearly in half, and ripped the Female adapter off the battery cable as well as the 2 poles lost.. After the first spill, I did not re-leash the 2 poles as to why they were lost to Davey Jones, but no injuries to self, and all other items broken/tossed were recovered from surf and discarded appropriately

Lesson learned for sure, after the 2nd spill I licked my wounds and called it a day, packed everything back up around 0700, and headed home to assess damage as I was definitely not feeling like the 3rd time was going to be a charm Not too much traffic out today, hopefully the other 5-10 kayakers out there today got to hook up! Till next time, Tight Lines!

~Malibu Stealth-14
~Malibu X-13

Last edited by stevie951; 04-24-2016 at 12:19 PM.
stevie951 is offline   Reply With Quote