Thread: Dead Sticking
View Single Post
Old 02-16-2020, 06:17 PM   #1
ProfessorLongArms

Dead Sticking

I'm especially curious to hear from the LJ crowd on this one since the main event down there is pretty live bait focused. . .

How much do y'all opt to dead stick your live bait? (IE: rig up threeway/reverse dropper/carolina/whatever and set it in the rod holder)

Where I fish, we're typically doing drifts in deeper water, not so much specifically targeting Halibut/WSB/YT and definitely not fly-lining.

That said, my PB lingcod have all been on an 8 oz three way rigged mac. Always cracks me up.... My line peels for 3 seconds and dies.... Then it's just an elevator ride up.

I've noted when I have a live bait hanging:
1)how much I have to keep an eye on it,
2)how sometimes no amount of care will keep your dropper rig from wrapping it on a drift, and
3)how much time I've spent cleaning up messes instead of fishing because of it.

Last year I also was on a spot that was thick enough with salmon grouper that every time I'd get a spanish mac down, i'd feel them start in on the bait before I could put it in the rod holder, then manage to get a hook set by hand. That got me to thinking some people *just* fish that way.

This is my first winter fishing the shallows, and now I *am* targeting more Halibut/WSB.... I had one big heartbreak today when my drag started screaming, but the line had managed to double-wrap the rudder while I was tying a rig. (Quite possibly my only complaint with hobie... it's like they *designed* those rudders to catch and tangle spectra)

I realize a lot of that is just awareness of where and how you're drifting, but I'm curious how many people opt only to troll live bait in-hand, and with what kind of rig.

For me, it's always felt like having a bait in the water while dropping jigs over marks is a good way to increase odds... That said I'm always interested in hearing how other people do things.
ProfessorLongArms is offline   Reply With Quote