Thread: Newport, 2-1-20
View Single Post
Old 02-01-2020, 04:33 PM   #1
Amish Ed

Newport, 2-1-20

Launched from Lower Castaways Park at about 6:15 this morning. With me were Kevin (slammah), and my brother Greg. It was coldish with a slight offshore breeze and no clouds. Water was 58.5 (when my FF still worked) and the current wasn't good, but it was there for a while.

The fishing was pretty wonky in that we covered a lot of water today for total of 5 fish. I caught 1 short sandie, 1 short spottie and 1 legal spottie. The 2 shorts were caught in the same spot, within 2 casts of each. That was while Kevin fought valiantly against a mooring line. He tried in vain to get back his snagged (that he could see) Alabama rig. Greg got 2 short butts and I think those were within 15mins of each other.

Pretty early on I had to sideline one of my 2 reels and this meant not a lot of changeups in heads. Mostly fished a 1/2oz weedless Coolbaits underspin. The legal fish ate that with a 4" Diesel Minnowz in Bad Shad. The shorts ate a bait that I can't remember at the moment as I was changing colors and styles frequently all day.

As far as where we fished goes, we covered a lot of water today and mostly spent our time in with moored boats. I felt very little eel grass and since my FF is being a PITA I couldn't find it the easy way either. BTW, Hook2 5 owners, ever have your unit automatically turn the brightness all the way down?

Despite the slow fishing it was good to be out there and when we landed at 11:15 it was knowing that I would be a bit sore and lots of tired. But, the good kind of sore and tired.