Thread: Advice?
View Single Post
Old 07-24-2014, 07:47 AM   #18
ful-rac
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by walrus View Post
RP knot for braid to spectra, floro to hook whichever you have become really good at tying is my recommendation.
This is my recommendation as well. 65# spectra is good. With 6 days your probably most likely going to fish all this tuna, yellowtail and dorado that's close, with a possibility of going to cedros and benitos. Make sure that you bring lots of flouro of different sizes, from 20-50#. Switch leaders depending on what kind of bait, what kind of fish and how good they're biting.
'

As far as hooks...I prefer J hooks. Owners and Gamakatsu hooks are excellent hooks but don't overlook the mustad's. Mustad hooks are pretty much disposable and cost pennies, vs dollars....and they have a bigger barb that holds a bait and holds a fish. Bring some smaller hooks like a size 2 or 4 for anchovy (just in case). Also bring 1/0 to 4/0 maybe even 5/0 hooks for the larger baits. Ringed hooks are nice to have, definitely bring some, they allow the bait to swim more naturally, you will likely get bit more. Another option is to tie a sandiego jam knot but not to cinch it down all the way, just leave a small loop, that will act as a ring. If you get bit the whole knot will cinch down tight.

Now as far as fishing spectra...it's great for fishing tuna! I personally love fishing spectra for tuna. If you have a lever drag reel that's a real plus when fishing with spectra because you can make drag adjustments quickly on the fly, more pressure or less pressure.

If you don't have a 2 speed reel get one, or borrow one or rent one. When the fishing gets hot and heavy...having that second gear is a life saver, and will allow you to catch more fish quickly.

Remember the rail is your friend!

Good luck!