View Single Post
Old 03-23-2016, 10:34 PM   #8
Mr. NiceGuy
Manic for Life

Anything you don't want to sink to the bottom of the ocean should be leashed. To me, a leash is what we use to hook things to the kayak. Same as a lanyard.

Stowing and bundling is how we secure things when we are launching/landing or when they are not being used.

When I launch or land, I always bundle everything on one side in one bundle - rods, gaff, etc. It's bundled and fastened horizontally on one side, allowing me to jump out easily on the opposite side if necessary.

I seriously can't imagine rolling a kayak in the surf with rods sticking up every which-way in the rod holders, whether they are leashed or not. Think about it. If we have to roll, it should be tight, easy and graceful, without losing anything, including any fish we caught.

My all time favorite ties for bundling poles, wet or dry, are 3/4" strips of old t-shirt material. Full length from the collar to the bottom. They curl into a cord naturally and have just the right amount of stretch to hold simple knots together wet or dry. They clamp down gently on whatever is in the bundle. The knots untie when the time comes just as easily.

On my Outback, I secure my horizontal bundle onto two rod holders, front and back. Everything small is latched under a hatch. I have a chin strap on my hat and I have those hose-thingy's behind the ears of my eyeglasses so I don't lose those.

The night before I go fishing I think about my fishing strategy for the next morning. I pack my kayak and secure the bundled rods, etc., in advance so I don't waste time prepping these things in the morning before I launch. I roll the whole thing out of my van ready to launch.

Last edited by Mr. NiceGuy; 03-24-2016 at 01:44 PM.
Mr. NiceGuy is offline   Reply With Quote