View Single Post
Old 05-07-2016, 08:32 AM   #9
Mr. NiceGuy
Manic for Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by FullFlavorPike View Post
This is what happens when you try to get too serious on the internet.
I don't mind ful-rac and his buddy jorluivil trying to torpedo my thread with their nonsense. If I ask questions they think are dumb or if they want to mock me, I don't mind. Let them have their fun. I've shoveled BS back at them a few times myself

This is an open forum of ideas and they speak for themselves. Sometimes their contributions are good and I have learned from them. Maybe we will meet in person one day and we can introduce ourselves. I might even offer to buy the first round of margaritas or cold beer after we land.

I'm a relative noob here. If I want to find answers I'll ask. There is a wealth of high quality information at BWE and I've met lots of new friends. My purpose is to decide for myself what kinds of fish I want to target.

If I'm going to take the life of a living creature, I want to try to think through the reasons and ramifications for what I'm doing. At a minimum I want to respect the fish I take home to eat by preparing them to the best of my ability and using everything I can down to the scraps as fertilizer for my garden. I prefer to target fish in moderation that are delicious, sustainable and from growing populations. I recognize there will be some collateral damage.

If thresher sharks taste like cat food or if their future survival as a healthy population is questionable, I would rather fish somewhere else or work on other projects.

I'm sure I don't have time to tan shark skin into leather. I read that thresher shark is good for this purpose. I've seen beautiful art made from shark and ray skin. The topic is interesting to me. I lack the time to explore another hobby in that direction.

As noted above, I'm pretty sure it's not legal to sell fins to a business. I was simply thinking that offering the fins to Asians who go nuts over them might be a higher value. I'm not particularly interested in shark fin soup myself. Maybe I should consult with our friend at fishermansbelly.com first.

Butt hay, that's just me. We all have to figure these things our for ourselves, right?

Last edited by Mr. NiceGuy; 05-07-2016 at 11:25 AM.
Mr. NiceGuy is offline   Reply With Quote