View Single Post
Old 08-03-2015, 12:31 PM   #1
chris138
donkey roper

How to make friends with sharks

Like many, I've tried several times to find the elusive kayak tuna with no success. So last weekend I decided to stay inshore and focus on the yellowtail which have been popping up periodically in LJ.

As people have mentioned, bait has been tough. Mostly spanish are being caught by the guys sibiking by the kelp. I have had a little luck making the greenies out in 90-100' depth on sonar marks, but this day it was straight spanish. Not a problem for the yellows lately.

This day was a slow bite. I got there in the afternoon and heard of very few fish caught, but plenty seen on the meter. So I decided to go down in line size and rigged up a 25# flouro flyliner. It seemed to give me a slight advantage over the guys fishing 40, as I got picked up almost immediately after switching to the light flouro. Farmed the first one which came unbuttoned, then stuck the second one. Both hits were in ~120' depth outside the bull kelp, on the deep prawn clouds.

Had a nice visit from a 10' hammer and got a cool vid which i posted in the discussion forum last week. They are so cool. Thanks Andy for the OTW pic!

chris138 is offline   Reply With Quote