View Single Post
Old 04-09-2013, 11:08 AM   #1
THE DARKHORSE

Excuse me, do you happen to have the time?

This day (Friday) started out just like any other in the life of Mr. Mom; in this case your's truly. I have a one hundred and forty pound, female, Bull Mastiff (kimora) and a male Boxer (Hudson). They rambunctiously bounce around doing as they please---knowing full well that I'd protect them with my life. You can take my woman, but don't even think about touching my dogs! The boxer is a high energy breed and the Mastiff is a permanent puppy, too. While the Mastiff isn't high energy by nature, as they say, 'a tired dog is a happy dog'. After sweeping the wood floors, doing dishes, pulling the weeds and putting those last checks on the honey-do list I decided to take the kids for a hike. Besides, how else am I going to resurrect those six-pack abs?

An hour of playing up the Mountain down the Mountain ensues; and they're clearly done. They absolutely love it. Besides, this is the last check on my list before it's time to get down to business. I can focus 100% on whatever I decide to do from this point forward. It's all about being able to focus. Without the feelings of guilt and the thought of those sad puppy-dog eyes---those damn eyes!

On the way home I'm considering my options: Should I take out that fresh new JS quad for a surf? Hit San Diego Bay? Maybe load up on rock-fish for Taco Tuesday? As far as surfing goes I'm a little on the spoiled side---like most California Mr. Moms. Not to mention the surf was expected to build the next couple days. No one wanted to join for the polluted Halibut adventure in the big-Bay; so scratch that idea. That place is dangerous as all hell without someone to watch your back!

The decision was made by the time I pull into the driveway. One more check of the camera on the beach and I decide to bring minimal gear. There's solid surf at the launch, but it's more than doable with some timing. As I arrive on the grounds I take a good, long look around, and plan my attack. The miles of empty kelp are all too appealing. I have that feeling in my gut and decide to follow it. I forgo the idea of endless taps from bait-sized fish and decide to feed the village in one fail swoop.

Turned out to be a wise choice. The dogs were asleep the whole time I was gone. I made it home just in time for a quick shower after stuffing eighty pounds of ice in the cooler. I was dressed and ready for the Slightly Stoopid show ( at Winstons in Ocean Beach), just as the 'ol lady arrives. A quick glance over the house followed by: "looks good did you manage to get everything done?". I replied with my stock-standard, "of course and I managed to sneak in a hike"---all the while she never knew I left!

Here's hoping you make the most out of your next big adventure. How much other crap you can successfully cram into your day is up to you.