Thread: 200LB Club???
View Single Post
Old 05-05-2016, 07:16 PM   #1
m7vasque

200LB Club???

Heard the Threshers were biting and thunder in the forecast for tomorrow so decided to head down to the jewel this morning with my brother. Hit the water around 6am, easy launch. Greenbacks were everywhere.

Didn't have a chance to make a run to the tackle store yesterday for a steel leader so decided to take our chances with the 40LB floro.

Hooked up within first 20min, broke off right away. Brother managed to hookup, same story. About 30 min later my brother hooked up again. Backed off the drag and managed to stay on up this time. Full on aerials and tale slaps. Thresher towed my brother around for 3 hours (LOL) before he managed color. I had to follow behind with the gaff the whole time .

He managed to get it within 5ft of the surface at least 4-5 times only to have it dive and tow him another good length. Total tow was a little over 3 miles out. Finally got it to the surface and set the gaff. Just about tipped over. Thing looked massive next to the kayak.

Managed a tail wrap. My brother tried to tow it for about 5min, I think he was moving backwards. Boater cruised over to try and help us load it on the back of the proangler. Managed to get the head of the Thresher on the rear, but the rear submerged under water. Plan B was a no go. Boater offered to load it on his boat and take it in for us. Weather was turning for the worse so we were stoked with the offer.

THANK YOU, JASON

Picking it up from Jason's slip

Headed over to Dana Landing. 213LB on the certified scale.

Best of all, this was my brothers first fish off the kayak (other than a few spotties in Mission Bay)

Last edited by m7vasque; 05-05-2016 at 07:37 PM.
m7vasque is offline   Reply With Quote