View Single Post
Old 04-05-2016, 11:04 PM   #1
m7vasque

1st YT La Jolla 4/5/16

First report. Been fishing for a bit now but admittedly a complete noob to kayak fishing. 4th trip to La Jolla in about three weeks since picking up my kayak.

Headed out with my brother just before 6:30. Fog was very thick. Past the buoy marker bait was easy to make. Slow trolled and sent down the dropper loop a few times but mostly just fed the sea lions most of the morning.

Finally around 11:30am my line takes a short run. I grab my reel thinking its another seal but still hoping for the best. Put the spool in gear and almost instantly feel a pop in the line and it goes completely slack. Thought to myself, "there goes another bait to the dogs". Immediately start reeling in thinking I'm going to have to move again and just as fast as it went slack I feel the rod load up and...bendo! line starts screaming and I know I'm hooked up. Took a few solid runs but got it to the kayak after about 10min. My brother finally sets the gaff and I was STOKED! First fish ever caught off my kayak (other than bait)
Attached Images

Last edited by m7vasque; 04-06-2016 at 08:09 AM.
m7vasque is offline   Reply With Quote