Thread: Newport 8/24
View Single Post
Old 08-29-2013, 11:28 AM   #7
Kelp Master
Bass Master Debator

I was out on the same morning, launched out of the small beach by the coast guard station... (didn't know about the sidewalk, so the long, hard pull through soft sand in my loaded x factor was awesome...) Trying out my new night light and headlamp so I launched out at 3:30am... All I could hear in my head was the jaws theme song... Hooked up on a pathetically small bass that must have run away from home, little juvenile was not more than 6 inches long. The fog got thicker and thicker and it was so ominously quiet and dark/foggy I kind of lost myself in the harbor. Paddling back in the dark and quiet, no boats or anything when a $%@#^ sea lion breached about 5 feet from me... I darn near messes my Yak... Fog cleared enough for me to find my way back to the launch and meet up with my dad for a day of kelp and crap... Caught one lizard and hooked into a nice Halibut about two and a half feet long. When I got him to the surface my line snapped. My first time using braided line so my knot to the leader was less than exemplary... Lost a brand new $6.00 laser minnow and the best fish I had seen all day... My first time out at Newport... Fog and big boats trying to run me down... How can you not see a 300 pound man in a 14 foot kayak on the open sea??? Look forward to trying it again!
Kelp Master is offline   Reply With Quote