Thread: Bluefin!!!
View Single Post
Old 09-18-2023, 09:53 AM   #8
blackcloud9
Kayaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHELL View Post
According to Google 2.9 miles is as far as you can see a light at night on the ocean at sea level before the curvature hides it. I have paddled to lights on the horizon off LJ and that seems about right
Agreed "a light AT SEA LEVEL" AND if your eyes are also at sea level. These big sport and commercial boats have lights FAR ABOVE SEA LEVEL. Looking off a road at the beach its likely you are already 25'+ above sea level. I too have paddled out to the "light boats off of La Jolla and Pacific Beach" many times on squid beds, I can tell you this is not that.

I just saw a Navy ship off La Jolla, during daylight hours. It looked like it was way out there but I could see all of the detail of the guns off the deck and bow and stern (I have better than 20/20 vision) and what seems like the hull down to the waterline.

So I got home and immediately checked on Google Earth using the MarineTraffic link with a location of WARSHIP 56[US] which states it is ONE MINUTE OLD. That vessel is 19.5 miles from my street and I can see it clear as day.

I can also see a bunch of large fishing boats clustered on the horizon straight west of La Jolla. At night their lights will be easily visible as they are 20'+ above sea level. Here is a photo of the Cobalt, which is located about 17 miles out right now in that area. I can see easily it during the day, imagine if it had a bunch of bright lights, at night?!

All of that said, there is a big group of very small boats fishing white seabass at the kelp spot off WindanSea today. There were dive flags up earlier this morning, there are always seabass around.

Last edited by blackcloud9; 09-18-2023 at 11:08 AM.
blackcloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote