Thread: Carlsbad Scare
View Single Post
Old 08-16-2015, 08:10 AM   #18
Murray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caseym View Post
Ya it was probably a Hammerhead. I just don't like the idea of something that big cruising and waiting beneath my yak. Always makes me feel like one bad tip and I could become hammerhead bait!! Just say no to Carlsbad Canyon!!!
It sits right outside that kelp so I think the natural upwelling brings the big predators around close to the beach. At least La Jolla is angled off away from the point. I just feel better out there...safer launching and landing too. The swell can really change from morning launch to afternoon. I Lost a net and rod there in the surf on a 'small' day just because three hours later it was bigger.
Lots of threshers in that canyon. Used to catch 200 plus lb threshers when I had my boat. Seemed like shark activity started at a depth of 350 ft plus. Rarely saw any sharks in shallower water but obviously they are there....... Personally, I have not had a shark encounter yet on my yak. Sure it will happen but do not think it will freak me out.........unless he charges me and then I will call Whiteboy over and let him hand line that sucker....ha ha. Chances of having a problem are pretty darn slim. Considering all the yakers that are on the water and only a few problems, I would not let sharks hinder me from ocean fishing on a kayak. Fish on boys.
Murray is offline   Reply With Quote