View Single Post
Old 10-13-2012, 06:06 AM   #1
BMAC
Junior

Lake Ontario Salmonoids

As someone who fishes La Jolla once a year with my Brother and enjoys reading the fishing stories on BWE while I'm unable to fish during the winter- I thought I would contribute a bit to the forum.

I had been fishing Lake Ontario for a while with limited success but last year ( after my brother and I spent 3 days paddling after the DH in his Hobie) My Brother and I went out and made the upgrade and got Hobies. This proved to be the ticket for big water fishing for me as it allowed me to add a downrigger and increased my trolling range considerably. Average day on the water for me is 7-10 hrs of trolling and when you're pulling spoons in 50-90 depth and have to keep pace at 2-2.5mph paddling isn't ideal.

Average day is about 3 fish with a good day being 7-8... My apologies for the bad pics - There is only a handful of guys here who even go out on the lake in kayaks and as such I fish alone the majority of the time.

This was the first mature Chinook of the year for me so I had a beer - Why not?

Good Look at a smaller Chinook

Brown Trout

Big Dark Chinook (38 inches)Getting Ready to Run up the River

Better View of it in the net

My Buddy Clint from North Carolina who worked hard ( paddling my old P13) for this Coho Salmon that went straight onto the grill!

The Big Chinook Salmon are a lot of fun. We are in deep water and don't have kelp, dolphins, seals, sharks etc to deal with so I only use a 17 lb weighted rod and 20 lb flouro leader.

I normally run one line deep for Chinooks and run another lighter rod ( bass rod) higher in the water column for Rainbow Trout - Much smaller than the chinooks but I seem to catch a handful of them every time out. They fight hard for their size normally bust at least one jump 3-4 feet out of the water.

Small one but a cool pic of the Toronto Skyline

And of course - You gotta get out there early as the bite often shuts down in the afternoon.

It was a banner year on Lake Ontario for me but this is the pic thats going on my wall - You are all so lucky to be able to fish La Jolla - Tight Lines

Last edited by BMAC; 10-13-2012 at 06:23 AM.
BMAC is offline   Reply With Quote