Thread: RAM vs Scotty
View Single Post
Old 12-04-2015, 08:33 AM   #11
Mr. NiceGuy
Manic for Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstephens3232 View Post
Thanks for all the input. I'll probably go with scotty anyone have any experience with with rocket launcher style for trolling seems like you could get the rod out of that pretty easy.

http://www.amazon.com/Scotty-479-Roc...1ZJAA9ZFQ0MVPK
I'm curious too. Do these ever rip off at the attachment point because of the leverage? It seems like a mechanically unsound design to me, bolted into a small area of soft plastic. At least compared to those rod holders that mount by extending to the bottom of the molded pole holders in the hull of the kayak. I don't know that answer because I do not have personal experience with this. I just want to be cautious.

Logically, the leverage against the attachment point comes from a 7' pole with heavy line and the angle at which the holder is set relative to the direction the fish pulls. Maybe that means the shape or length of the part that holds the rod doesn't affect the force of leverage at the attachment point, right?

You know the size of the monsters we dream of catching. It would be sad to lose one because the rod holder broke off or our favorite pole and reel runs away with the fish.

Unless it's for bait fish with multiple poles or lazy-day bottom fishing I like to actively fish with my pole in my hand, including trolling.

Last edited by Mr. NiceGuy; 12-04-2015 at 08:52 AM.
Mr. NiceGuy is offline   Reply With Quote