View Single Post
Old 06-26-2017, 03:32 PM   #15
Mr. NiceGuy
Manic for Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by FullFlavorPike View Post
Any tips on making green mackerel in the bay?
For me, making bait in the bay is more random and not predictable. I'm always dragging a sabiki on a small iron behind me as I go to wherever I'm going. I was not really expecting to get hit, but we never know. I was simply on my way to the bait barge.

On that particular morning they were abundant just after first light in the triangle outside the buoy and entrance to Shelter Island Yacht Basin. I launched from the Shelter Island beach next to the boat ramp and was on my way over to the bait barge to get a scoop of anchovies. I went through a few schools or maybe a single larger school of mackerels that seemed to be lingering out from the buoy. They were pretty thick. I U-turned and passed through two more times, and I had all the bait I wanted.

For me, it's unpredictable dumb luck. I find that chances are better if I always keep a hook in the water. The little blue & white iron at the end of my sabiki as a weight has also picked up jacksmelt and corvina. Also random. I'm the kind of guy who has more questions than answers.

If bait is around, it's usually easy to catch. If it's a few random fish, then maybe we can improve our chances with small slivers of squid on the sabiki hooks. I carry Butt Juice with me when I carry squid as a backup, and it seems to add to the luck.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Pro-Cure-...&wl13=&veh=sem

2 oz bottles were available at Seaforth Landing, last time I looked.

Last edited by Mr. NiceGuy; 06-26-2017 at 03:50 PM.
Mr. NiceGuy is offline   Reply With Quote