View Single Post
Old 05-22-2021, 12:17 AM   #19
JohnMckroidJr

Derelict big boaters are the greatest danger to smaller vessels in my area. Some of them have their stereo blasting and are just not paying attention, others are going out of their way to steer straight at kayakers and leave them a big wake to deal with. When I see one headed my way, I always make it a point to turn on the GoPro camera for documentation. If the boater sees this, they often veer off. There have been a couple of close incidents that became viral videos and subsequently, the large vessel operators received some fall out that will make it less likely to occur again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty View Post
Thank you @qualifiedcaptain, right?? And it's true, my less ocean-oriented friends and family always ask me if I'm afraid of sharks when I'm so far offshore in just a small kayak. The threat of sharks rarely crosses my mind out there. But an idiot at the helm of a dual outboard center console is always terrifying...
Yes sir, USCG Lic. Master, Unlimited tonnage any ocean. I spent 3 decades navigating ships to avoid those pesky (15-150ft) smaller targets on or off the radar. Sometimes it's easier to make a big course change to go around a busy area. Other times(like in places like the yellow sea) it's a floating city of fishing boats. No going around it -- hand steering and standby engines the entire watch.

Like your Non-salty friends, mine unfamiliar with the ocean think of sharks as the biggest fear.

Although I have had some aggressive shark encounters, and one very humbling visit by a Hammerhead with a girth much bigger than my kayak, Irresponsible boaters remain my biggest concern. According to google, about 600 deaths a year with the biggest contributing factors being
1.Improper lookout
2.Excessive speed
3.Operator inattention
4.Operator inexperience
5.Alcohol use

About 400 of those deaths are drownings, and 80 percent of those are because they were not wearing a lifejacket. A good reminder to always wear your lifejacket.
JohnMckroidJr is offline   Reply With Quote