View Single Post
Old 05-16-2020, 06:39 PM   #4
ProfessorLongArms

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevbeer View Post
(edit) I should mention this is maybe my 6th time out at La Jolla, otherwise only been in bays, which I don't really enjoy.

Launched La Jolla 8:30 am. Almost made it out but wasn't getting through the waves so tried to throw my mirage drive in. Big mistake, cost me maybe 5 seconds, enough for wave to be upon me, but maybe I was screwed anyway. Anyhow, went over hard. Snapped a rod, my newest one. Lost my mirage drive (md180), new style outback seat, and a tackle box. How I didn't think to lanyard my drive and seat is beyond me. Anyhow, stayed around for hours trying to search but came up with nothing. Left info with Kayak rental stores and SD lifeguard so hopefully turns up. Waiting to be accepted to the La Jolla lost and found facebook page to make a post.

Please let me know if you come any of this stuff or hear anything...thanks.

Pretty sure I am quitting the hobby...I like it, especially the thrill and beauty, but I was already on the fence about staying in long term given the mild pain on my shoulder from getting yak (outback) on and off the car roof, plus I am not made for a lot of sun exposure, and plus want to spend time in hobbies my wife/son will join me for. Now after this expensive and traumatic day, I honestly don't think I can come back...maybe if my drive and seat magically turn up. Oh yeah and I think I pulled in muscle in my calf some how.

thanks!
UGH. I'm so sorry to hear this.

FWIW, I ate it pretty bad my first few times out. I nailed my first launch by myself and crashed super hard coming in. Some asshole stood there on the stairs at Leo Carrillo and laughed at me while I dragged my kayak up by myself. I was borrowing my Dad's kayak which had been in storage for a while and impulsively drove it back up to him before cooling down 2 days later and getting it back.

My first botched launch was especially brutal, and on a pitch and dump shorebreak in 3-4 footers (I didn't even know what surfline was at the time). Half my body was bloody rash. I'll never forget the retiree who was setup watching the beach for the season in his RV with his wife who somehow just knew I was going to get demolished, and was standing next to me by the time I got up out of the wave that took me out. He was nice enough to watch the beach for my lost rod and got it back to me. I brought him a bottle of Patron the next week

I think I quit this sport twice before really getting into it.
I've broken 3 rods and lost count of the number of lost sunglasses and hats.

It's a lot of work and can be brutal. I feel you on the sun exposure thing. I pretty much cover every inch of my body in UPF fabric, and even still I have chills the night after.

I go through phases where I can't think about anything but getting on the water and after a few trips I'll end up feeling like I've eaten my fill and can't imagine getting back out on the horizon.

If you don't mind me asking, how long are you spending watching the surf, and are you going out alone? The two biggest things that shortened my learning curve on the launch was 1) spending about 10-20 mins waiting through various sets to get a *feel* for the lull and 2) just having someone who knew better than me to chase into the surf.

I also feel you on the solo car-topping. Outback can be quite unwieldy and there are a lot of wrong ways to do it.

All of this is to say, I've been where you are and I know the feeling.
I'm sorry you had a shit day.
I hope your gear turns up whatever you decide to do.
ProfessorLongArms is offline   Reply With Quote