View Single Post
Old 06-13-2013, 11:15 AM   #33
dos ballenas
Vampyroteuthis infernalis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whizz Bang View Post
Yes this happened. I did a great write-up and when I tried to post, it erased the entire thing, so here is the short version.

Yes it was a GWS. Probably 15ft. It circled me twice before sinking out heading towards me. No I did not literally shit my pants. Figuratively, yes I did. Yes I watched my meter and the water with unwavering attention. Yes I called the Lifeguard dispatch.

The surf is jacking up tomorrow. If the idea of a yard sale landing, and a potential maiming on the water do not deter you, then you deserve to know that yes I got into the YT, I landed one of three hooked, and a few more missed on boils on the Iron. If that ratio of hooked to landed sounds like I was over kelp, then you, kind sir, are very astute.

Side note... I always get a kick out of reading about how so and so couldn't find them when they are thick as thieves out there, and have been for a while now. I have killed five fish in the last 4 trips, these trips were spread out over the last month and a half. Post counts do not always translate into fishing prowess, this is a sad fact for many, but true. The truth is that all to often, the inverse is more applicable. We find ourselves talking about fishing when we cannot get on the water.

If you are waiting for the weekend, for the sun and easy launch, then you, are a fool. You may get lucky and wander into a patch that haven't been driven over a dozen times already by twin 4-stroke Yamahas, and still feel like chewing, but I wouldn't count on it. This is summer time fishing, find days that do not start with Sat or Sun, start early, pack a lunch, and cover a LOT of ground.

E
Could have been a basking shark... thhey are very curious and often come up and circle boats. Did you see it under the water? Hos fast was it moving?

Oh and speaking of yellows:

http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/s...ad.php?t=11368

I could use your help!

dos ballenas is offline   Reply With Quote