View Single Post
Old 01-17-2006, 06:20 PM   #4
Holy Mackerel
Señor member

Sorry you had to deal with that Mark, and Zed. :?

I had an experience driving in baja, well a few, but I only wish to share this one... :lol: This is in no way to scare anyone from driving down there, as most of my trips go mostly without incident.

Here is my account of what happened. I was driving back to San Diego with about 35 lbs of left over croaker meat (this doesnt have anything to do with the story) and it was a busy holiday, I believe Labor Day, lots of traffico. I knew if busy there was a chance they would close the San Ysidro crossing, and re-route us to Otay. And they did...

First of all, it is a nightmare getting to Otay, as nothing is clearly marked, and using the "force" I was able to somehow navigate my way there. On the way up a hill, I saw an American pulled over by a motorcycle cop. I said "that sucks for him!"

About 5 minutes later, I see in my rear view mirror, the same motorcycle cop with his lights on. I had been in baja 5 days, hadnt had a shower, was sick of "squating," and camping, just wanted to get home. So I pull over, and he comes up and starts speaking Spanish. Now I speak ok Spanish, but not that good. So, I say "huh, what I am sorry I don't speak Spanish." He says, "no hables Espanol?" I say "no" Then in Perfect English, with a hint of Cockney, he says, "ok, the reason I pulled you over is becuase your kayaks are hanging off your rack too far, this is a $400 pesos fine ($40) in Mexico." I say "ok, I will move them back, sorry officer." He says "no this is a fine in Mexico, we will have to go to the station." I tell him have been there 5 days, and was over being in baja, and I am not going to the station for this ticket, I can pay him the fine. (basically bribe) BTW this is Bullsh*t!! They have to write you a ticket, there is a PO Box in America you can send your money order to, but I hadnt had that knowledge. Also, they have no computer system to keep track, so you never have to pay it. I hand him $10, he again tells me, "but this is a $40 ticket in Mexico," I pull out $10 more, and tell him, that is all, I need money to get accross the border. He shifts his eyes back and forth over his shoulder, and stuffs his money his pocket above his badge. He then tells me I can go, jokes about fishing, like an old army buddy, doesnt make me move my boats, and drives off. About 5 minutes up the road, another American is pulled over. I think I saw him reaching into his wallet.... But this is an anomoly... So enjoy baja...

Chris
Holy Mackerel is offline   Reply With Quote