View Single Post
Old 09-08-2014, 06:24 PM   #9
lterrero
Leo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbad Mike View Post
This is about the private business of kayak rentals, snorkeling tours, paddle board rentals and the like. It is NOT about closing the launch to the public for the launch and landing of their personally owned kayaks, paddle boards etc. Although if that's what it takes to control the growth of these businesses whose customers regularly contribute to the parking problems then I promise you that that's what is going to happen.
Yes, I get that their are whiny residents who move in and complain about something that's been there many years before them. Like the morons that moved to La Jolla and then complained about the smell of bird poop coming off the cliffs. Or a better example would be the people who decided that the children's pool shouldn't be used for what it was originally dedicated as and is now under the control of seals.
It is extremely important to understand that the launch could be closed to us and the rest of the public if the residents get too pissed off. I don't feel that they (the local residents) have a problem with the public using the launch for how it was originally intended although a very few might.
I have not been around long enough to state facts but what I believe is this..... Everything was fine and easily overlooked when there was one business renting kayaks to 20 customers a day. Probably even fine and dandy when there was two rental companies who each were catering to 30 customers a day. Well now look at how things have changed. Anyone who has been to the launch twice during the summer months has seen HUNDREDS of customers for EACH of the 3-4 rental businesses. THAT IS WHERE THE PROBLEM IS and the residents understand that.
Have you ever been to the launch and it's hard to drive onto the beach to load or unload because there wasn't any room? The reason that there wasn't any room is because the rental businesses take up the majority of the area with their kayaks and trucks that we are allowed to legally use.
I'm sorry for rambling on but I strongly feel that if we as regular LJ launch users ignore the problems of the residents then WE will ultimately lose out in the end.
Mike

You got the point, Mike. As the article says "the City's general fund has taken annually more than $350,000 in business license fees and not returned any of this money to improve parking, trash collection and maintaining our beaches in the Shores." When these businesses started they began taking 6 feet of the launching pad, then they took 20 feet, then they took 50 feet, then they took 100 feet and on and on, pushing the regular beachgoers further to the side. The meeting is about the expansion of these businesses and the new agreement that will govern the rules and regulations by which the kayak operators must abide for the next coming years.
lterrero is offline   Reply With Quote