Thread: Thank you
View Single Post
Old 11-11-2009, 04:26 AM   #1
PAL

Thank you

What a dreary outcome. Now that it's over I can finally speak freely.

That was one brutally lopsided, maniupulated, nearly hopeless fight. Between agenda driven science, constantly shifting goal posts, back room dealing and process changes in the dark of night, we were doomed from day 1.

Only you didn't get the memo.

As disappointed as I am in the unjust, excessive closure map we were dealt yesterday, and the lingering bitter taste of that unholy sacrifice of Malibu's Pt Dume (the local LJ) at the alter of LA politics and the disgusting wholesale giveaway of public access in Orange County , I am equally proud of our collective efforts.

You don't know half of the obstacles we faced. There's no such thing as a victory here, there never could have been, the only question was how badly we'd lose. And although I urge you to continue to fight this battle to the bitter end as we move to the Fish and Game Commission and possibly other arenas (), that we kept anything at all at La Jolla is a testament to your untiring and MLPAI-annoying refusal to go away.

You were such a persistant nusiance that a full-on La Jolla reserve evolved into a political non-starter. That it ended up south of Windnsea is a testament to your stubborness.

Anyone who's been to a meeting knows the truth of these words. You also know that kayak anglers and free divers out-worked and out-attended every other segment including the enviros. We've got something going here, a special community involvement. Although the ball carrier changes from time to time, there's a strong, solid team of winners personally taking responsiblity for preserving the values and freedoms we hold dear.

Thank you!

There were times during the last year that I was pushed to the absolute brink. Your support sustained me.

Every California kayak angler owes a debt of gratitude to those who endured the meetings, wrote the letters, lobbied the politicos, and donated $$$$ to the cause.

Chris Fierro, Tyler Webb, Billy V, Grego, Josh Rider, Kiyo and the Baytubers, Maggie and the OEX Crew all performed heroically. They were far from alone. Much gratitude.

A tip of the cap to all our other brother and sister anglers who stood with us shoulder to shoulder. Especially to Joe Nguyen, Jeff Sporcich, Joe Farlo, Paul Romanowski and the spearo troops. They are our close kin; it was great to finally get to know some of them. And Fishcatcher, our future, and the other kids who stood tall, you inspire us all.

That's it for now (this is alreay a novel). Gloves are off! Vent if you need to. Go fishing and let the bruises and scars heal. That's my plan. Hope to see some of you Dec 9 at the first Commission meeting. More on that in a few days.

Paul
PAL is offline   Reply With Quote