View Single Post
Old 11-09-2015, 06:58 AM   #1
Hammerhead_77

Angry *Added Pics * Mirage drive failed...got home anyway

While chasing butts out by the lighthouse yesterday, my mirage drive failed. The idler cable broke right in the middle. Yikes.
The tide was still running out giving about a 1.1 knot drift. Have I mentioned that I have a PA 14? Older model with the lower seat... Out comes the paddle and the learning begins.

Learning #1: I can't paddle for crap. Seriously. I have never had any other kayak and I can't paddle. I made it about 1/4 mile before coming to the conclusion that this just wasn't gonna happen.

Learning #2: That standard Hobie paddle is too friggin short for the PA 14. Granted, I am a t-rex in the arm length department, but I couldn't reach the water without shifting my grip. This is going close to nowhere...

Learning #3: Mirage drives will work without the idler...kinda. Faced with calling for a tow since there was no way I was going to get back to Shelter Island with my paddle, I figured WTH and put the drive back in to see how far I could get. I got all the way back to the launch with some fishing stops in between! It was making a lot of noise, but it seemed to work ok.

Learning #4 Mirage drives aren't happy without the idler. When I got back, I couldn't get the drive out of the well. Finally just pulled it up on a rock to look under it and saw that the main axle shaft has walked forward about 3 inches and was effectively pinning the drive into the well. How that thing worked with the axle walked out that far is beyond me!!

The weather was perfect. Had it been snotty like last time when I got all the water in the boat, I never could have made it with a paddle. This time was close enough that I turned my radio on to start listening to traffic and though about calling Sea-Tow or hailing a passing Parker.

So, now I have a few things to figure out. As you know from my other posts, I'm big on safety and I don't like risks. I have to either find a paddle that would work for me in a pinch or buy a spare mirage drive, and find a way to store it in the hull that would be accessible on the water. But before all that, I need to call the tech guy at the local Hobie place and see how in the heck to get that drive out of the well!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20151109_105024.jpg (27.8 KB, 327 views)
File Type: jpg 20151109_105634.jpg (26.5 KB, 329 views)

Last edited by Hammerhead_77; 11-09-2015 at 11:46 AM. Reason: posted pics
Hammerhead_77 is offline   Reply With Quote