View Single Post
Old 07-15-2013, 08:14 AM   #19
roby
CEO of Team Roby

First off, I’m glad everything worked out and I’m glad Jim posted so others can learn from the experience…

It was about 11:45 when you got hit. I was so excited I first looked at my fish finder to see if there were any WSB marks. In the corner of my eye I saw Jim slide off his kayak and then I looked at his fishing line and saw it surfacing to a big splash 50 feet away. It was definitely a seal. In the next moment, his kayak flipped over and about 6-8 seals started to splash around us. I’m not sure if the seals were being aggressive or not. The scene of Jim in the water, his kayak flipped and the seals jumping with just my head lamp on us made for a surreal moment. In my mind I was thinking, “This could get ugly real fast.” In a few minutes I saw the seals heading towards the squid boats.

Jim tells me right after the flip, “My braid is wrapped around my leg.” I immediately tell him if he needs my knife so he could cut the braid.

Like the true angler that Jim is, he says, “I think the fish is still on.”

Fortunately, there was nothing at the end of his line and we proceeded to get Jim back on his kayak. He was tangled up real bad. Not only was the braid around his legs but it was wrapped around his kayak. Jim tried to flip the kayak but it seemed the braid and his filled up waders were not allowing the kayak to get flipped easily. Braid has great properties for fishing, but at this time it was working against us.

I remember one thing Jim told me that night that stood out in my mind. He said with his waders filled up with water he really couldn't move. Any effort he put towards swimming/treading was not effective (it was suggested later that he take his waders off).

Eventually when the kayak was righted we could tell his kayak had a substantial amount of water in it. It wasn’t filled but there was enough water to make it tippy. I had to hold his kayak while he got back on, but he did it with much effort since his waders were filled. Jim pumped out his kayak and assessed what was lost and started to re-rig his rods; I pedaled around and picked up a couple items I saw floating around.

Jim was in the water for a decent amount of time. We were lucky there was hardly a breeze and that it was virtually a lake out there that night. Jim’s a die-hard kayak angler and he handled everything in a calm, cool way.

Overall, it was a great learning experience.
roby is offline   Reply With Quote