View Single Post
Old 03-08-2011, 09:43 PM   #7
yakinitup
Oregunder

Thanks for the love!

The only thing I lost was a hook sharpener. I almost lost: fishing license, water bottle, my mirage drive... and consciousness. I don't think I've ever been hit by a wave that hard!

At one point I was facing the shore, watching my kayak as I was making my way back to it and noticed the mirage drive was hanging off the side by the leash. I thought, "I'm sure glad I had that thing leashed on!" And with that thought, almost as if it was waiting for me to think that, the leash snapped as another spiller pushed my kayak again. I practically dove to the spot it had snapped and luckily found the drive.

My sounder screen (cuda 168, rest its soul) was cracked due to poor placement of the screen right up against the front of my GPS mount. So the screen was cracked after punching through only a couple of waves, well before I wiped out. The ensuing washing machine of salt water sealed its fate. Other than the sounder, no damage.

It's a sandy bottom where we launch, but there are some rocks not too far away so we have to be real careful while waiting for a break between sets. Once or twice I've almost been pushed right up into those from the littoral current.

"Can I just come home and think I've been fishing all day or something?" -Peter Gibbons, Office Space
yakinitup is offline   Reply With Quote