View Single Post
Old 05-04-2009, 02:42 PM   #8
Tman
BRTF...bought & paid...

Clay and I are in, ya know that Chris.

Send me a PM, let me know how we can coordinate what we are to speak about.

I would like to touch on the issue brought up about kelp habitat being a decisive factor, and one thing really striked me as odd...LJ kep/habitat is bountiful, very diverse fishery, and with CP going to the dogs literally, you shut down LJ, the pinnipeds will have a field day. And once you have unlimited food supply, just imagine the consequences. Excess breeding will bring serious ramifications; look what the pinnipeds did to CP. Wiped out the fish population, and polluted the water.

And once the pinniped population is to the point of being out of control, something will come in and thin the herds. When they have no human competition, the only apex predator for them to combat with will be GW's.

Now, I'm all for GW's. Top of the food chain. But what are the swimmers, tourists, recreational divers and the likes, gonna say when we have a spate of GW attacks? Think of the CA mountain lion...at one point, deer were plentiful. They grew in numbers, decimated the deer population, and focused their meals elsewhere, mainly the ranchers' stocks. What happens once the LJ fishery is depleted by the pinnipeds? It will be a field day for the GW's, who will go after the pinnipeds, since their comsumptives are depleted. Do they plan to declare an open moratorium on GW's?

I really don't think that this closure is being thought of in regards to future ramifications. I think they are more concerned with getting an early victory, and adjusting their strategy as each new obstacle is presented before them, with no thought of the consequences of their actions.

Just my dos centavos....

Tman
Gaffer for Clay the Fishcatcher
Tman is offline   Reply With Quote