View Single Post
Old 06-21-2014, 11:17 PM   #47
THE DARKHORSE

This one's for you, Sista' -- you 'da kine!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramos23 View Post
Great report!

Awesome photos!
My pleasure, Ramos. Likewise. I'm sure we all appreciate when someone like yourself shares their captures. Whether it's from down the street. Or, in your case, a world a way. Any idea how far you're located from, Peniche? Portugal is somewhere I'd love to visit. Maybe even relocate all together.

Thanks for your patience there, folks. I have been known to be, I don't know, fashionably late? And whether we're talking about updating a weekly thread -- or catching trophy fish for that matter -- it's all about one thing. Consistency. For some, it's all about being early to bed. For others, who may choose late to rise. Whatever routine you find yourself in? While I may not be your first choice for advice. Just make the most of it...

Right about the time I put up my last update. Computer-time was at an all time low. For you guys who follow the moon rise times, tides, currents, etc.

Well, you're not alone. Bar graphs and weather predictions aside, though, there's many pieces to that puzzle. Or else it would be easy...

Said, relatively spectacular, moon rise -- alright already, it's June for crying out loud -- a La Jolla, White Sea Bass.

They're not always this cool, fish or no fish. Some are better than others, though, and in years past I wouldn't have even snapped a pic.

As is often the case. Quickly the colors completely changed. Making the first photo that much more special to me.

Also notice the bright hue of the sunlight setting behind me. Throwing hot pink rays and reflecting off the moon. 'Twas magic for a moment.

If you were on the water this week, you might have heard some guy, screaming bloody-murder. I was currently with a client at the time. And leaned over to ask him if he heard the screaming, too. We discussed if it was someone in distress, perhaps they saw a Great White Shark, were sinking, or worse? We quickly realized it was the screams of joy from a mile away, though -- and I then told my client it must be none other than, Bert Vega. A no-nonsense, hardcore angler, who's not too proud to celebrate. A man's man who will catch fish until he's sore this season.

I was just lucky in this case to have an opportunity to capture, pure unadulterated joy. You can fake a lot of things -- stoke isn't one of them.

One of the longest, leanest, Yellowtail that I've ever seen. Definitely not a local fish. Could have easily been over forty pounds had she been eating right. Regardless, a beautiful trophy fish that any man alive would be proud to catch. And no doubt put up an incredible fight.

This was a special fish for both of us. Since I've had an opportunity to start mentoring, Bert, lately -- enter proud Papa moment indeed. That said, we've had no problems getting on the fish when our schedules aligned. Here he is going toe-to-toe on an absolute giant of a, White Sea Bass. Estimated somewhere between sixty and eighty pounds. Yes, we saw her, and she flicked us our hook back right at the boat. I'm pretty sure that both of us cried after a few choice words were screamed to the heavens.

What's that saying: a day on the water is better than any day at work -- I gonna have to call bullshit. This was a sad trip back to the launch.

Somewhat similar, our most recent trip didn't exactly have a happy ending. The analogy I often use, especially if the client is in the construction industry? Imagine if you spent an incredible amount of time building this amazing, stunning even, beautiful house made of glass -- then a piece of $h!t, five hundred pound Sea Lion, comes flying out of the elevator you built and lands on it!

That's my job in a nutshell. As if getting each client on fish isn't hard enough. Our hopes and dreams are attached to a tiny piece of thread. Between guys who simply refuse to turn the handle, to spastically winding all the line onto the spool (on one side) until it comes to a grinding halt -- and snaps -- to trophy fish that smoke you into structure for a living themselves. Or, just filthy, thieving, overpopulated Sea Lions. My next job? Will have absolutely nothing to do with building beautiful glass houses. Guaranteed.

Here's another repeat client from over the years who recently made it back in the pipeline. Like many, he's since moved on to smaller boats and wanted a refresher course. Yes, for me anyway, I approach each target species differently from apposing vessels. A boat is not a kayak and vice versa.

This lucky angler had already got smoked by a large, White Sea Bass, one day with me prior. Caught a very large, Yellowtail,
off a kayak our last trip out. And on this day? We left them biting full speed...

After that trip, I had another opportunity to put an angler on his first ever Yellowtail. No sport boat background and no big water experience to speak of.
Anyway, after lots of instruction starting from the beginning, eventually we ended up here. The fun/not sofun part of the trip.

Not to be confused with work or anything. But rest assured, Mike, here is certainly doin' work!

What's that saying: "big boat equals big fish"? Something like that anyway. My third client in a row, on a tandem, to bring home the bacon.

Just look at all the fish storage possibilities...

At least on the ride back that pounding hull quiets down, right?

Bacon. It's what's for dinner. Complimentary, happy-ending, by trophy fish who made the ultimate sacrifice.

Alright, I suppose that's enough for now. Most guys penis is longer than their attention span. So, regardless of how well endowed, one's focus tends to wander after a certain allotment of time. Myself included. Whether you're a thrill seeking junkie. Or, easily bored?

Might I suggest diving in terrifying conditions to begin with. Getting buzzed by some absolutely, ginormous, dark figure from below -- that I know was not a Sea Lion. Then, beyond what every pore in your body is telling you to do? Keep making drops to the bottom until you find the dark figure you came for.