View Single Post
Old 05-22-2020, 08:41 AM   #5
daperrin
www.TheKayakLaunch

Yes I have tried the backward entry where you face the waves and paddle backwards to shore. I thought it worked out pretty good. The waves were such this day I felt I would likely get toasted by the breakers even if I was facing them so better to just time it and book it to the shore. Ended up working for me

As for the short swell interval. I think I just picked a bad day. The graph I pulled from Thursdays marine records (second box below) show a large spike in the short swell interval. Notice how they drop from 15 sec interval to 8 or 9 sec intervals. Just shows the forecast is only so good and big changes can suddenly appear.

The first box shows what the surf actually was compared to forecast. I was looking for 3 footers but they were more like 5. Anyway these are buoy wave height readings I think but it will definitely translate into higher surf than expected that day.

Yes I have tried the backward entry where you face the waves and paddle backwards to shore. I thought it worked out pretty good. The waves were such that day I felt I would likely get tost by the breakers even if I was facing them so better to just time it and book it to the shore. Ended up working for me

As for the short swell interval. I think I just picked a bad day. The graph I pulled from Thursdays marine records (second box below) show a large spike in the short swell interval. Notice how they drop from 15 sec interval to 8 or 9 sec intervals. Just shows the forecast is only so good and big changes can suddenly appear.

The first box shows what the surf actually was compared to forecast. I was looking for 3 footers but they were more like 5. Anyway these are buoy wave height readings I think but it will definitely translate into higher surf than expected that day.
Attached Images

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/@thekayaklaunch
https://www.instagram.com/thekayaklaunch
daperrin is offline   Reply With Quote