View Single Post
Old 09-04-2020, 07:29 PM   #189
FISH11

After several trips to both bays and several out to La Jolla, I have to say this is a super fishing platform. It took a little getting used to , because I was not familiar with sitting up as high compared to my kayaks. The other factor is moving at a higher speed even when not full throttle the changes in direction happen so quick that, you have to learn to expect changes in lateral forces. I added a 9" Hobie H Rail to the starboard gunnel to help hold on. The rope from the bow was OK, but did not help in the side ways forces. Now I can hold onto the H Rail and stay stable over crossing waves, rollers or making turns. That and the time on the water has made it that I don't even need to look at boat wakes when drifting cause the Solo is so much more stable than any kayak i've used and even better so muck dryer of a ride. Love the speed of being able to cover water looking for bait or getting to bird action at a distance. Took my dog out to mission bay to get her used to the water and riding on the Solo Skiff. Once we got past the spray from the wind chop at speeds above 6 mph she started to relax and like even going out on the bow and didn't even get bothered when boat wakes came. Someday when she's more used to it and conditions make La Jolla like a lake as sometimes happens I'll even take her out there. Here's a video I put together from Wednesday. I also went out to La Jolla surf launched on Thursday and landed and released my first Yellowtail on the Solo Skiff. I you want to see that it's posted on the Fishing report section. If you visit my utube channel hit subscribe and you can see any future videos or from my library, past one that had a lot more Yellowtail action from the days when it was easy to almost get one on every trip.