View Single Post
Old 07-15-2015, 01:39 PM   #1
shawny

7-14-15 A Nice Yellow Graduation Gift

Been lurking on BWE for around 3 years now, ever since I was sophomore at UCSD. But never had the time or money yet to invest in kayak fishing. Wasn't until a few months ago before my graduation that I had finally saved up enough $$ for a kayak. I think it was a great investment!

So, to be honest, this was literally my third time ever out on my Hobie Revo... First time was at Miramar Lake getting the feel of my yak and bass/trout fishing, second was at La Jolla playing around with rockfish and testing out my ghetto homemade bilge pump bait tank, and third was yesterday when I finally decided to just invest in a used Hobie bait tank from Fast Lane.

Was supposed to wake up at 5am but ended up snoozing until 8:30am, launched out by 9:30am, made tough bait by 11am (only two Spanish macs and two greenies, but apparently good enough), tied on a greenie and trolled for maybe 45 minutes or so and got bit. Decided not to push my luck since I was already extremely satisfied, and called it a day early around 12:30pm after cleaning up the fish and wiping away all that blood. Not bad, I'll call it beginner's luck.

Not a whopper, but definitely a memorable first yellowtail off the kayak. Will never forget it!

Thanks for all those who gave me bits and pieces of advice, offered help, cheered me on, and said a friendly hello while I was out there. I was in the Olive Revo 13 and blue jacket. Appreciate it a lot - BWE, you guys basically taught me everything I know! I especially appreciate all of the safety tips.

Cheers to many more big fish and great memories to come. Thanks, guys!

Last edited by shawny; 07-15-2015 at 08:20 PM.
shawny is offline   Reply With Quote