View Single Post
Old 04-12-2017, 06:02 PM   #20
chris138
donkey roper

Quote:
Originally Posted by da22y View Post
Chris 138,

My transducer is inside the hull with goop indeed.
I will make it direct contact to water and see. You have a point !
I hope it is the "ground" issue.

Thank you !
Guaranteed that's your problem. Now you gotta get that crap off the face of your skimmer and clean it as well as you can. DON'T use sandpaper on the business end of the skimmer. Ideally you want your transducer in the water, a couple inches or more below the surface. Im guessing you don't have a scupper w a transducer mount...

Grounding issues aside.... boom arms for the 'ducer are unwieldy, but produce unparalleled resolution. I know everyone will say "if you install it correctly w goop it works fine". Sure it produces an image that "looks" right when you dial in the colorline. But how much of your signal strength is reflected or lost in the first 10mm of ping (ie your goop and hull)? 20%? 50%?

With a proper boom arm that has the 'ducer 5 inches below the surface, the elite 4x can easily track the bottom in 1000' of water at 83kHz. But shooting though the hull, your gain is maxed out just trying to find bait in 200', and you'll never see the yt on the bottom.

I would love to see some images from the Total Scan transducer if someone would like to post up!

Last edited by chris138; 04-12-2017 at 06:10 PM.
chris138 is offline   Reply With Quote