View Single Post
Old 08-20-2015, 03:01 PM   #1
chris138
donkey roper

Kayak, Bikini, Wide Open YT... living the dream in La Jolla.

After putting some serious hurt on the local offshore Yellowfin last Friday, Saturday was set up to be a nice relaxing paddle with my girlfriend the Linz. Apparently I used up all my fishing mojo roping the 30# YFT. I couldn't BUY a bite on Saturday. Meanwhile, the Linz just completely slayed it.

Early on I got a couple pieces and sent her off towards the corner while I continued to make bait. I was in the kelp making Spanish when she comes back up to me "hey babe I need more bait, I just released a yellowtail." Sure enough she was already on the board... and that was just the beginning.

After warming up on the rat... she was ready for the bigger models. We were tanked up on bait and we headed outside toward the 200' contour. As soon as we got to the target depth, her flyliner goes off. This time on a real fish! She got it in pretty quick, sunk the gaff, and put a solid one in the box. Nice work!

An hour or so later... shes on again. This time it's a little bigger still, maybe a 20#er. She tells me "I want to release this one". Ok... but you're on your own for the release. She handled it like a boss. Got it all on gopro.

Now I'm getting worried. Still haven't gotten bit, and Linz has got three. Sure enough an hour or two later, we have the school pop up in front of us foaming on the surface. Im scrambling to put my jig on top of them, meanwhile the linz is casually just paddling on. My jig never gets touched, but 5 minutes later shes on again. This time shes over bull kelp, and the fish is pulling her into the spread of a near by PB. They got a good show, watching the linz put the smack down on the yellow, and horsing it to the surface. 4th yellow landed on 30# mono over kelp, again like a boss. Another solid fish released.

Overall she went 4 for 5 on the yellows, releasing 3. Pretty much showing the boys how its done. Watch and learn fellas(:

chris138 is offline   Reply With Quote